Subject: Re: 1.5_ALPHA and shared libraries (esp. XFree86 4.0)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edud>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/2000 04:48:19
On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Richard Rauch wrote:

[...]
> The context: I did a binary install of XFree86 v4.0 on a 1.5_ALPHA (i386)

...I found the problem.  The X binaries were looking for, for example,
libXmu.so.6, when in fact I had libXmu.so.6.1.  Taking a small chance, I
constructed symbolic links and now that bit is sorted out.

Now I just need to fix up my monitor configuration so that I can use the X
display.  And, since apparently neither GLU nor glut are included as part
of the XFree86 OpenGL support, I need to get my hands on a GLU and glut
implementation.  (I guess that I shouldn't be surprised, but I really
expected at least GLU.)  (Hm.  I suppose that I can lift the GLU/glut out
of Mesa-glx.)

This question still remains, though, re. linking under the new
shared-library handling:

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu