Subject: Re: COMPAT_AOUT removal
To: Todd Vierling <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@kpnQwest.no>
Date: 08/10/2000 10:03:17
Todd Vierling <email@example.com> writes:
> I've suggested, multiple times, something to the effect of:
> #options EMUL_AOUT # use /emul/aout as additional paths for a.out
> # (not required for use with compat14 package)
> ...commented out by default.
Good one. I've been thinking, though: would it be possible to make
EMUL_AOUT (and, possibly, the other EMUL_* options) tweakable as to
the kind of directory search mechanism they provide? If you could
- searching only /emul/... (sort of an /emul jail)
- searching only /... (requiring ld.so to check /emul/...)
- searching /emul/... first, then /... (current behavior)
- searching /... first, then /emul/...
- searching a union of /emul/... on top of /... (like unionfs)
...well, I think that could be useful. Possibly not sufficiently so
to warrant the work, but useful. And kind of cool. :-)
The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.
--Eric S. Raymond