Subject: Re: Is ld.so changed? (Re: COMPAT_AOUT removal)
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/09/2000 09:13:09
On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 05:30:18AM -0500, Kazushi Marukawa wrote:
> > Tonight, I built new kernel and user-land by using
> > yesterday's current (got through cvs).  Then, I've gotten
> > this error whenever I execute old binaries.
> >
> >   jam@sou(p4)$ /usr/local/bin/less
> >   /usr/libexec/ld.so: less: libcurses.so.2.2: Inappropriate file type or format
> >

> > Here are other information.  Maybe I need all of my old
> > libraries under /emul/aout.  Am I correct?

Yes.

> >  Could somebody
> > change ld.so to search under both /emul/aout and /?

You could get almost the same effect by building a kernel with
COMPAT_AOUT. It's not as pretty, because it does wierd things to
shells, but if you've already updated your shells it should be
workable.

> That is what is going to happen (looking under /emul/aout and /). But
> it hasn't happened yet.. stay tuned.

The source is already in the tree, and it really does work -- I
converted a 1.5_ALPHA/i386/a.out system to 1.5_ALPHA/i386/ELF last
weekend, everything works fine, and the final packages are in the
process of being rebuilt now (while running under X with a.out GNOME).
You just can't build ld.so with an ELF toolchain. If anyone else is
contemplating upgrading from source, remember to build a new ld.so
with your old toolchain first, and also save (rename) your old
ldconfig and ldd.