Subject: Re: COMPAT_AOUT removal
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/06/2000 17:59:25
On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Frank van der Linden wrote:

: I plan to remove COMPAT_AOUT in the following days.

No.  Please do not do this.  I use it, and have already volunteered to
maintain it.

: However, because of the way that kernel compat code is structured,
: this meant translating all filesystem name lookups to the
: shadow tree (/emul/aout). This caused problems with things like
: a.out shells, and emulations that used a.out (like running
: BSD/OS binaries).

BSD/OS does not belong in the "netbsd" emulation, and will not, after I
finish some work to support newer BSD/OS binaries.  This is not an argument
for removing /emul/aout, which is *USEFUL* and works gret for some people
such as me.

If you want to rename the option (MAP_EMUL_AOUT?) and change its comment in
GENERICs, fine.  However, do not remove it.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/