Subject: Multiprocessor builds anyone?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/05/2000 17:57:31
Hello everyone,

This may be an impractical idea, but it seems doable.

Building a release on the VAX is really slow. A typical build on my fastest
machine takes several days to do from scratch. I have 4 VAXStation VLCs
(little 6 VUP puppies) that are not doing anything (they test when I'm done
building but don't help out in the build.) What I was wondering was if
anyone had looked as non-overlapping multiprocessor builds. For example,
building through the libraries, and then starting one machine on usr.bin,
one on usr.sbin, one on gnu, one on share, and having them all build in
parallel.

I'm trying to figure out some way to get one to stop when it gets to a part
of the source tree that is already built (to prevent over taking another
processor) any ideas?

--Chuck