Subject: 1.5_ALPHA boot-big.fs?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/2000 15:49:02
I s'pose that this is the right list for this question.  (^&

After padding boot-big.fs in 1.5_ALPHA's i386 floppies set to 2880KB, I
used it to burn a bootable CD-ROM per the advice off of the web
site.  When I was finished, I booted from the CD.

The CD came up with a message telling me to insert disk 2 in the drive and
hit enter.  Hm...

Am I the only one seeing this?  Has anyone else encountered this?  Or has
anyone successfully used the most recent 1.5_ALPHA snapshot's boot-big.fs
to make a bootable CD?  I thought that there was a remote chance that I
had padded the wrong file, so I re-padded the boot-big.fs, and ran cmp(1)
on the two files.  They appear to be identical.

Since none of the boot-disk images appear to be padded, it seems
impossible that I specified the wrong boot-image when burning the CD.
I could try burning a new CD with boot-tiny.fs instead, but I'm a little
concerned that that wouldn't be any better.

(There are other ways of upgrading, but it generally seems simplest to
back up everything and do a fresh install.  (^&)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com