Subject: Re: SiS 900 ethernet working?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/2000 00:40:17
Jonathan Stone writes:
> In message <200008030411.e734BRG23608@flash.vaultron.com>Andrew Gillham writes
>
> [...]
> >Just tested my Amptron motherboard.  The 'sip' is working great, I booted
> >a new kernel with 'dosboot' and selected a NFS root.  With 'ttcp' I got
> >about 80 Megabit/s from my server machine.
>
> Why so low?  Half-duplex?

Well it is 80% of wire speed so it is not too low.  I did only test half-
duplex though, as I was in a hurry.  I don't know what my cheapo switch
adds for latency and haven't tried testing back to back recently.
Anyway, I can futz with the options in you have some suggestions for ttcp
flags.  I usually just do:
	# ttcp -r -s -f m
	and
	# ttcp -t -s -f m otherhost

> >sip0: Ethernet address 00:00:de:ad:be:ef <- no use giving this for free.
>
> Is that a real risk with IPV6, or just paranoia?

In my case it was just paranoia.  Not that it really matters I guess, and
I don't know anything about the risks with IPV6.  My mobo might end up at
a hosting center or in someone else's hands, so no use leaving a MAC address
trail of bread crumbs. :-)

IMHO the use of my UAA with IPV6 is akin to enabling the processor serial
number feature with a PIII.  Just say _hell no_ to freely tagging packets
for big brother. <ducks head back into bomb shelter> :)

-Andrew