Subject: Re: Strange SCSI error message
To: None <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/01/2000 10:32:14
>Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 11:26:43 +0200
>From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
>
>On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 10:02:06PM -0400, maximum entropy wrote:
>>
>> I recently bought an HP CD-RW unit.  When it's hooked up to either of
>> my SCSI busses, I get strange messages during the boot process:
>>
>> scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
>> ahc0: target 0 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset = 0xf
>> probe(ahc0:0:0): SCB 1d - timed out in Message-in phase, SEQADDR == 0x153
>> SCSIRATE == 0xf
>> probe(ahc0:0:0): BDR message in message buffer
>> probe(ahc0:0:0): SCB 1d - timed out in Message-in phase, SEQADDR == 0x153
>> SCSIRATE == 0xf
>> probe(ahc0:0:0): no longer in timeout, status = 0
>> ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 1 SCBs aborted
>> ahc0: target 6 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset = 0xf
>> cd1 at scsibus0 target 6 lun 0: <HP, CD-Writer+ 9200, 1.0e> SCSI4 5/cdrom removable
>
>Hm. Is there actually anything at target 0? Your CD-RW is at target 6,
>and seems to be probing just fine. If it's somehow also responding to 0,
>than something weird is going on.. Maybe try checking things like
>termination in the BIOS settings ("termination for single-ended devices").

There is nothing at target 0.  If I change the CD-RW drive to be at
target 0, it doesn't probe at all, almost as if it were colliding with
another device.  The controllers are definitely at target 7.  The
controller is terminated (set to Auto).  The CD-RW drive is the only
device on this SCSI bus, so it is terminated as well.  It is currently
mounted internally, so I'm using the termination jumper on the drive
itself.

But I was having the same problem while it was sharing the other SCSI
bus with my scanner.  In that configuration the CD-RW was mounted
externally as the last device in the chain, the scanner was not
terminated, the CD-RW termination jumper was removed, and an active
terminator was plugged in to the end of the SCSI chain.

Unfortunately I don't have any other SCSI controllers around, so I
can't test the drive with any other drivers to see if it's just the
Adaptec driver acting up.