Subject: Re: PCIBIOS in 1.5ALPHA/i386
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/29/2000 19:51:56
}| I'm playing with a Dell Inspiron 5000.  The USB, Cardbus and audio are not
}| configured at boot using an install floppy I've built using the CARDBUS
}| config file.  When I uncomment PCIBIOS, the USB, Cardbus and audio are
}| found, but not configured because of lack of interrupt.  If I uncomment
}| PCIBIOS_INTR_FIXUP as far as I can tell, the USB and Cardbus are found
}| (don't recall for the audio, but I don't think it is), but instead of
}| going into sysinst, the screen goes nuts.  (Flashing bits all over the
}| screen, various colors, not very useful.)

}I finally had a chance to play with a friend's Inspiron [but only briefly,
}and I'm out of town for the next week so won't be able to do so there.]

I'm out of town on vacation, but ran the install disks I created with the
previous suggestion, PCIBIOS_BUSFIXUP enabled, and everything was probed
happily.  Unfortunately the 1.5ALPHA CD I created before I left doesn't
have CARDBUS enabled on the kernels it has, so I couldn't get that to
do anything useful.  So I just needed those three in the INSTALL kernel,
I haven't (and not sure I'm going to have time during vacation) tried
an actually running system with them yet.

}You should probably try process-of-elimination. What does your
}kernel probe look like? Here's what I get (below). [Hmm, we need
}to do something about making the pcibios verbose displays
}more readable. Sigh...]

With PCIBIOS_BUSFIXUP, PCIBIOS, and PCIBIOS_INTR_FIXUP enabled, everything
was probed.  I couldn't get my xircom realport's modem to work, but it
was coming up as com3.  (Again, this is only the INSTALL disks, and I've
not used a modem in years, so that's not necessarily a lack in our driver.)
The audio card and the power management system were the only things (other
than the usual video card, I think) that were 'not configured'.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu