Subject: Re: shell expansions
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/29/2000 16:08:16
gabriel rosenkoetter writes:
> Personally, I *like* the fact that command history is expanded in
> double quotes. That could be pretty handy. If you didn't want
> expansion, you should have used single quotes. If you're using double
> quotes, you're thinking about expansion, and you should escape
> anything worrisome.

But remember that this also effects command line expansion inside
shell scripts.  There are plenty of times you want dollar-sign
expansion inside a shell script but don't want what is essentially a
lame keyboard editing interface.  (If one wants a previous command in
bash one can use Ctrl-R, or Ctrl-P which is quite a bit more WYSIWYG.)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
DGPS signals via the Internet  http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/gps/dgps-ip.html