Subject: Re: shell expansions
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/29/2000 16:08:16
gabriel rosenkoetter writes:
> Personally, I *like* the fact that command history is expanded in
> double quotes. That could be pretty handy. If you didn't want
> expansion, you should have used single quotes. If you're using double
> quotes, you're thinking about expansion, and you should escape
> anything worrisome.

But remember that this also effects command line expansion inside
shell scripts.  There are plenty of times you want dollar-sign
expansion inside a shell script but don't want what is essentially a
lame keyboard editing interface.  (If one wants a previous command in
bash one can use Ctrl-R, or Ctrl-P which is quite a bit more WYSIWYG.)

Wolfgang Rupprecht    <>
DGPS signals via the Internet