Subject: Outstanding resolver bug PR 6410
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/2000 09:52:28
I've had a PR open since 1.3H about a nasty resolver bug that breaks
one of my applications.  The PR was filed with a clear description of
the problem, a trivial set of steps to artificially reproduce the
failure mode, and a patch to correct the bug.

Each time I've mentioned this bug here I've been asked to update my
patch for the latest version of res_send.c and resubmit it.  So far
there are three versions of the patch in the PR database, and no
obvious sign of anything being done about it.

This bug was also reported to the BIND development team at the same
time.  They quickly acknowledged the problem and fixed it immediately
in their distribution.

I would really appreciate it if someone could look at PR 6410 and get
this bug resolved (and get the fix pulled up) before 1.5 ships.

The patch will probably need to be applied by hand.  This should be
easy, as the context hasn't really changed, just the line numbers.
I'd really rather not submit another trivial update to the patch just
to have it be ignored again.

Thanks,
entropy