Subject: Re: CVS commit: sharesrc
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Karl Dietz <Karl.Dietz@triplan.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/2000 08:52:11
maximum entropy wrote:

> >On Nov 3,  9:59pm, John Hawkinson wrote:
> >} aliases => alias's
>
> Actually, either way is fine.  If you look hard enough, you will find
> authoritative sources stating that "alias'" is correct, or that
> "alias's" is correct, or that both are correct.  Some sources will say
> that you can always add "'s" to make a plural.  Other sources will say
> that you should add "'s" or just "'" depending on how the plural is
> pronounced.

Hi,

in my english lessons I have learned that the apostrophe is just for
indicating a left out vocale or to indicate possesion (de:
saechs'cher Genitiv, en: saxonia genitive?) You don't want to write
"alias's" instead of "aliases" because it makes it a double "s" which
neither easier to speak nor easiear to read. And you don't want to write
"alias'" because it isn't possesed by the alias. So imho the plural
should always be written without a apostrophe, expect were it indicates
possesion.
Maybe it's easier to use "British English" rules for the apostrophe as
"American English" tends to be very lax (lax as in do what you like)
in regard to grammer.

Regards,
         Karl

BTW: What sources state that a plural is formed by appending "'s" to
     some word? IMHO they are completely wrong in any english
     dialect.