Subject: Re: -current support for xircom PCMCIA cards?
To: Claus Andersen <clan@wheel.dk>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/24/2000 13:05:06
On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 12:36:33PM +0200, Claus Andersen wrote:
> The 76x series came with a plastic box which enabled you to attach your
> floppy drive externally. That was how I got my 1.4.1 installed but I
> suppose you haven't got that gadget handy anymore?

Well, considering I got it through a friend who makes a living trading
on eBay, I don't think I exactly have all the original IBM parts.

;^>

I'm looking at buying one of those boxes (also on eBay), but I'd
rather not have to sink any more money into this thing.

> The install floppy usually configures PCMCIA correctly on 76x as you can
> see from the lines below (pcic0: controller 1 will have sockets when
> docked (with the proper dock :-)))

Oh yeah, I have no argument with its configuration of the bus. I'm
quite happy with that.

> > Xircom, CreditCard 10Base-T, CE-10BC, 2.0/0008012302-011494 (manufacturer 0x0105, product 0x0108) function 0 not configured
>
> It seems that the Xircom card is not supported. Wether it is easy to get
> it working I am not the one to say but I'd suppose it could be handled
> as a standard ne2000 clone.

Doubtful; it should be handled by the xi nee xe driver, I think,
considering it is a "driver for Xircom CreditCard PCMCIA Ethernet
adapters". (From the comments in src/sys/dev/pcmcia/if_xi.c.)

> > I'd still like to get that PCMCIA card to work, though...
>
> Your PCMCIA seems to be running OK so it might be worth borrowing another
> card somewhere. When I had my 765L I was using a _very_ cheap D-Link DE-650
> which worked "out of the box" as I remember.

As I said, I'd like to get that PCMCIA *card* to work. I've got no
complaints with the PCMCIA bus itself.

I have tried one other card which did not work, but there's still a
third and fourth I can get my hands on, so...

Also, I could tar base.tgz and kern.tgz (ungzipped, probably) across
multiple floppies (well, dd a tarball across multiple floppies), then
dd it back out over a tarball on the laptop's drive. Or (presuming we
have kermit, zmodem, something on the install floppy) I could
transfer the tarballs through a null modem cable (or... can one do a
network install using that as the interface? Maybe...)

Anyway, I've got enough options and it's clear enough that the Xircom
card I borrowed just isn't supported and I should return it that I can
stop bugging port-i386 and current-users about it.

To those of you that have, thanks for replying. If anybody has more
thoughts, maybe email me privately. I'll post a summary of what worked
if enough people are interested.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net