Subject: Re: -current support for xircom PCMCIA cards?
To: Claus Andersen <>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/24/2000 13:05:06
On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 12:36:33PM +0200, Claus Andersen wrote:
> The 76x series came with a plastic box which enabled you to attach your
> floppy drive externally. That was how I got my 1.4.1 installed but I
> suppose you haven't got that gadget handy anymore?

Well, considering I got it through a friend who makes a living trading
on eBay, I don't think I exactly have all the original IBM parts.

I'm looking at buying one of those boxes (also on eBay), but I'd
rather not have to sink any more money into this thing.

> The install floppy usually configures PCMCIA correctly on 76x as you can
> see from the lines below (pcic0: controller 1 will have sockets when
> docked (with the proper dock :-)))

Oh yeah, I have no argument with its configuration of the bus. I'm
quite happy with that.

> > Xircom, CreditCard 10Base-T, CE-10BC, 2.0/0008012302-011494 (manufacturer 0x0105, product 0x0108) function 0 not configured
> It seems that the Xircom card is not supported. Wether it is easy to get
> it working I am not the one to say but I'd suppose it could be handled
> as a standard ne2000 clone.

Doubtful; it should be handled by the xi nee xe driver, I think,
considering it is a "driver for Xircom CreditCard PCMCIA Ethernet
adapters". (From the comments in src/sys/dev/pcmcia/if_xi.c.)

> > I'd still like to get that PCMCIA card to work, though...
> Your PCMCIA seems to be running OK so it might be worth borrowing another
> card somewhere. When I had my 765L I was using a _very_ cheap D-Link DE-650
> which worked "out of the box" as I remember.

As I said, I'd like to get that PCMCIA *card* to work. I've got no
complaints with the PCMCIA bus itself.

I have tried one other card which did not work, but there's still a
third and fourth I can get my hands on, so...

Also, I could tar base.tgz and kern.tgz (ungzipped, probably) across
multiple floppies (well, dd a tarball across multiple floppies), then
dd it back out over a tarball on the laptop's drive. Or (presuming we
have kermit, zmodem, something on the install floppy) I could
transfer the tarballs through a null modem cable (or... can one do a
network install using that as the interface? Maybe...)

Anyway, I've got enough options and it's clear enough that the Xircom
card I borrowed just isn't supported and I should return it that I can
stop bugging port-i386 and current-users about it.

To those of you that have, thanks for replying. If anybody has more
thoughts, maybe email me privately. I'll post a summary of what worked
if enough people are interested.

       ~ g r @