Subject: Re: Compatibilty with Linux or with FreeBSD
To: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/23/2000 09:48:38
On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Gregg C Levine wrote:

: Hello from Gregg C Levine usually with Jedi Knight Computers
: Just out of plain curiosity, would a program written for FreeBSD work, as
: is, on NetBSD? And by the same token, would a program that was written for
: Linux, also work as is?

Programs which are already in binary form for FreeBSD or Linux will probably
work, with some restrictions (these statements apply to NetBSD 1.5, now in
alpha/beta test; NetBSD 1.4.x is a bit more restrictive on the emulation):

- We support FreeBSD binaries only up to FreeBSD 2.x and 3.x (and only a
  subset of 3.x).  I have personally been working on getting this closer
  to 4.x and 5.x-current.

- We support almost all Linux software now, up to glibc2.0.  The glibc2.1's
  do not work perfectly, as there are some holes in the emulation.

Programs in source code for FreeBSD are very likely to compile and run
properly.  Programs in source code for Linux are iffy, depending on how
Linux-specific the source code is.

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)