Subject: Re: netbsd-1.4.3_ALPHA make release failed
To: None <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: current-users
Date: 07/22/2000 12:31:01
> Why does a 'make release' of netbsd-1.4.3_ALPHA fail with
> following error:
> cc: libhack.o: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Wrong/missing path to libhack.o (It exists in
> .../distrib/utils/libhack!)?

I hit this problem as well.  The way I worked around it was to
use obj directories/symlinks in the whole distrib/ tree,
especially in the distrib/utils/libhack directory.

Do you have obj directories in only parts of your distrib/ tree?

I'll admit that I don't fully understand all the details of why
it goes wrong, but it's related to the fact that the libhack
directory is referred to via .PATH from other places, so make
itself is content that there exists a libhack.o, but the make
rules don't refer to it via the .PATH-directed name (and they
shouldn't either, since the builds of libhack.o is often tweaked
where it's referred to, so libhack.o should be built locally).

Regards,

- H=E5vard