Subject: Re: Questions regarding dump
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/2000 07:30:20
Hi,

I am late on this thread (running "another obsolete technology" -- mail
over uucp), but still...

At 22:00 Uhr +0200 19.7.2000, Matthew Jacob wrote:

[NetBSD Legato client]

>But I doubt I shall ever release a server for *BSD (the agreement
>I have with Legato is a bit vague on this point, but I can assume that they'd
>be unhappy if I did), and the source will always be not available (also as per
>my agreement with Legato).
>
>Dump/Restore should work reasonably well, I agree, but in my opinion it's
>ready for retirement- not renovation. I also have on my list to examine the
>current state of rmt to make sure it's happy.

And the replacement for dump/restore is? I have to backup samba and
netatalk store, so I do not really trust tar/pax/cpio ("strange" chars,
path length). As you pointed out, Legato is closed, proprietary technology
and IMHO "not really" suited for your one/two machine(s) installation
(price tag).

Please don't "steve" things for which there is no alternative. For all I
can see, on the average NetBSD setup, dump(8)/restore(8) is here to stay.

	hauke