Subject: Re: Questions regarding dump
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siteROCK.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/2000 15:54:30
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Matthew Jacob wrote:

# What's wrong with:
# ------
# for fs in / /var /usr ; do
# dump 0usdf 6000 54000 /dev/nrst0 $fs || exit $?
# done
#
# dump 0usdf 6000 54000 /dev/erst0 /export
# exit $?

"I shouldn't have to do this."

# > It should rewind/eject the medium if it hits EOT, otherwise it should
# > stay put.
#
# No, no, no, no! You can't know whether it's in a changer and that this action
# could really bork the changer (like the ADIC VLS DDS units). I don't even like
# the erstX variant. Tape ejection should always be a separate command.

Nononono, you misunderstand.  Don't put it in the driver.  Put it as an
action inside of dump.

# If you want this, don't ask the tape driver to do this. Add a flag to dump
# (here I am being counter to our other mail thread) to use mtio ioctls to do
# what you want.

That was what I was looking for, there we go.

I'm trying to get that to work but it doesn't want to take for some
reason...

# Don't get a DDS2 (I'm really finding that they wear out far too soon).

Thanks for the pointer.

				--*greywolf;

	/* Need OpenSource servers?  Try BSD - Solid as a Rock. */