Subject: Re: System Freeze
To: None <jsarkes@tiac.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/2000 13:57:50
Joseph Sarkes wrote:

> I am still occasionally getting a freeze of my system. In general
> it seems to occur under heavy load during compile of /usr/src
> (make build) along with a second activity like
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/junk bs=1024k count=50
> another thing that seemed to trigger the event was a "w" command.

The problem with "w" (and "top" and "ps") was a deadlock in the kernel
and was fixed recently (like in the last couple of days).  If you have
rev 1.75 (or 1.73.2.1 on the branch) of sys/kern/kern_sysctl.c (and some
other related files that were updated at the same time) this particular
problem should be fixed.

Simon.