Subject: Automagic 'cvs update'
To: None <>
From: Thomas Klausner <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/2000 19:10:56

Since I hate waiting for a 'cd /usr/src; cvs update' to finish, I
wrote a short Perl program that uses source-changes posting to only
update the files or directories that really need updating.

You could use this script as a mail-filter, or you can run it over the
whole mailfolder where you collect the source-changes postings:

cat mail* | | sh
or mailfolder | sh
or mail1 mail2 mail3 | sh

should all work. Following branches is also very easy.

For your first tries, lose the '| sh' at the end and look if the
output looks correct.

One more thing: You'll have to customize some variables at the
beginning of the script first (what parts of the sources you're
interested in, and where the base directories for them are; you can
also influence the flags cvs gets passed), and perhaps your perl

Hope this proves useful,

Thomas Klausner -
I wanted to emulate some of my heroes, but I didn't know their
op-codes. --dowe