Subject: Re: 1.5Alpha pppd problems
To: None <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/2000 11:16:49
   On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 11:24:46PM -0600, Brook Milligan wrote:
   > I just installed 1.5Alpha/i386 on a machine that is a ppp dialup
   > server to try it out.  The pppd setup is exactly the same as what
   > worked with 1.4.2 (as is the setup on the client end), but I cannot
   > get a connection established.

   1.5Alpha as a server doesn't give me any problems with 1.5Alpha or
   1.4Alpha clients. I just had to add the 'noauth' flag in /etc/ppp/options.
   What do your config files looks like ?

Why noauth?  I'm need authentication because I run pppd directly from
getty.  Could this be the problem?  How does the 1.5Alpha
authentication for pppd interact with 1.4.2 clients?  Authentication
seems to be the major hassle for 1.5Alpha systems on IP4/non-kerberos
networks; is this another fallout from that?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Brook

# /etc/ttys (in part)

# name  getty                           type    status          comments
#
modem   "/usr/libexec/getty ppp.57600"  unknown on  rtscts      # modem line

# /etc/gettytab (in part)

default:\
        :ce:ck:np:im=\r\n%s/%m (%h) (%t)\r\n\r\n:sp#9600:

ppp:np:ce:ck:pp=/usr/sbin/pppd:
ppp.57600|PPP-57600:sp#57600:tc=ppp:

# /etc/ppp/options

debug