Subject: Re: DESTDIR build does not use newly built libraries in libasn1?
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/2000 14:19:03
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 06:25:08PM -0700, David Querbach wrote:
> > Would it be unreasonable to promise that -current would always be able to
> > build under the latest official stable release?
>
> Yes.
>
> When upgrading parts of the toolchain, for a very wide definition of toolchain,
> sometimes a very strict sequence of operations has to be done, which is easier
> formulated as a instructions to a human.
>
> Think "rpcgen".

FWIW, I disagree.  I think we should have an additional rule at the top
level, something like "buildtools" that will build all those tools needed
to build netbsd and then install them in a safe area.  For example:

	make buildtools DESTDIR=/usr/build_tools

	make build DESTDIR=/usr/newnetbsd BUILDTOOLS=/usr/build_tools

Of course, it would mean that it would be necessary for those tools to
build on an old platform, but if you can't do that, you are really hosed.

Having this would be a good step towards being able to cross-build netbsd
from a non-netbsd host.