Subject: Re: increasing FD_SETSIZE to 1024 or 2048?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/09/2000 01:10:11
I'd just like to point out one little thing. This microsoftian tendancy
to solve a problem by throwing more memory at it, while seeming cheap to
those of you who do your coding on machines that can use $1/Meg simms,
is a little more difficult when you put the same code onto, say, a
MicroVAX II with 9megs. Granted that most of my own VAX memory was free
(dumpster fodder), it was gained over years of careful collecting, and I
cannot reach behind me and pull more out of my ass when the nickels &
dimes start piling up.

I'm sure that NetBSD/VAX isn't the only port that could have problems
with this. I think rather than up the default distribution-wide, at the
very LEAST we should think about setting different defaults for
different ports. Or rather, set the default to 256 in GENERIC, and let
you modify it to your heart's content in a custom build (um, like it is
now, I guess).

My $0.0256.
--
 - J. Buck Caldwell