Subject: Re: kerberos in 1.5_ALPHA
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/08/2000 20:10:21
On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Darren Reed wrote:

# In some email I received from Mike Pelley, sie wrote:
# [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
# > > How does one change a password in 1.5_ALPHA ?
# > >
# > > # passwd darrenr
# > >
# > > just gives me a Kerberos error...
# >
# > It seems that
# >
# > # passwd -l darrenr             (lowercase L)
# >
# > is now required to change passwords "locally".  I don't use kerberos or
# > similar in my environment, though, and I'd like to make "local" the default
# > if possible (as it was in 1.4.2).
# >
# > Also, can someone help me get rid of the error "Unknown error: 2529639068
# > while getting initial credentials" when I telnet in?
#
# I think a better question is "why is kerberos being built in by default ?"

I think an even better question is 'why will it not just fall back and change
the local password when it can't contact kerberos or yp'?

				--*greywolf;
--
                 A _Real_ Operating System for _Real_ Hackers.

                 With many thanks to the core team and UCB CSRG.