Subject: Re: increasing FD_SETSIZE to 1024 or 2048?
To: None <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: current-users
Date: 07/08/2000 18:02:56
> Bumping named's FD_SETSIZE to 2k, doing "files 1024" in
> /etc/named.conf, and using some 800 requestors gets me about a
> 3-fold incerase.  (named eats more CPU, i am trying to profile
> it but the ipv6 changes broke compiling named with cc -pg,
> sigh).

Are you saying that all your requestors each use their own
permanent TCP socket towards the name server providing recursive
lookup service?  Is there a particular reason that the resolver
clients can't use UDP instead?  If you did, I would think that the
FD_SETSIZE issue on the default named goes away.

This of course won't solve all the other more generic problems in
bind8 e.g. related to handling many outstanding queries, but that's
a different kettle of fish.

Regards,

- H=E5vard