Subject: Re: Installation over a serial line
To: Jared D. McNeill <>
From: Andrew Gillham <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/2000 00:47:37
Jared D. McNeill writes:
> The installer (for 1.5_ALPHA anyway) says that it can't detect an ethernet
> card if I choose to do an ftp install after bringing up the sl0

Well this is a bug IMHO.  It should either work or be disabled completely.

> device. I'm currently installing it by hand (at a whopping 0.82KB/s,
> thankyouverymuch 9600 baud). What needs to be done after all the disk sets
> are untarred other than MAKEDEV?

Hmm, couldn't get at least 57600?  Anyway, you will usually want to edit
/etc/rc.conf.  You can put all of your changes in /etc/rc.local.conf and
not have to continously change /etc/rc.conf if you track -current.

Just create /etc/rc.local.conf with something like this:

There are plenty of other little "tweaks" that you might want to do, but
at least you should be able to go multiuser and login.  Oh, and I'm
assuming that /etc/fstab got created when you partitioned/labeled the
disk.  If you're installing manually you probably figured this out already.

Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.