Subject: Re: i386 xterm key bindings
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/04/2000 01:35:31
> What I'm *trying* to do is to set up al lthe mappings to approximate
> a vt-220 style approach. Since that's exactly what I have on all my
> pmaxes, and it's what NetBSD used, more-or-less, to support.

Making backspace produce a Delete keysym is the wrong answer.  It may
do what you want for xterm (at least historically), but other X apps
will get the wrong idea.

If you want xterm to generate a DEL when you press backspace, mess
with the XTerm*VT100*translations resource.  The following are the
entries use here.  I don't remember the details of adding to the
translations in your personal X resources without stomping on the
native ones.

	~Meta			<Key>BackSpace:	string(\177)		\n\
	Meta			<Key>BackSpace: string(\033\177)	\n\

I'll note that in the past, at least on the i386, this hasn't been
necessary; the NetBSD xterm generated DEL when you pressed backspace,
which was nice since it was consistent with the default tty erase
value (though not with the distributed xterm termcap entry, if I
recall properly).  I don't know if that's true any more.

(It's pretty sad that with a completely stock Solaris or Red Hat
installation, if you fire up X with an xterm, run "cat > /dev/null",
and press backspace, it doesn't work.  Even if we can't get operating
systems to be consistent with each other, you'd think they would be
consistent with themselves.)