Subject: Re: increasing FD_SETSIZE to 1024 or 2048?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/04/2000 12:15:04
On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Jonathan Stone wrote:

: >However, the claim that it
: >is insufficient for modern systems (as you, in fact, claimed)
: >is false.
:
: I don't think so.  Even the two datapoints that it's not
: adequate for two workloads I know about disproves that.

Those are your apps, which have every right in the world to change
FD_SETSIZE at its own whim.  The standards say that you could, if you want,
make it 1048576!

What you need to show to make this argument is a reasonable place in
NetBSD-supplied binaries where this would be anything but a performance
penalty.

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)