Subject: Re: HPT366
To: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
From: one more medicated peaceful moment <dive@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/04/2000 05:35:09
*shrug*, thats how I did it. I had to enable the ata66 ports in my CMOS
setup, before NetBSD saw it, but I think they are enabled in cmos by
default. other than that, i dunno.

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Jorgen Lundman wrote:

> Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 09:34:06 +0100
> From: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
> To: current-users@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: HPT366
>
> one more medicated peaceful moment wrote:
> >
> > I have one of these in my machine, and to enable it, all I had to do was
> > open the case and reconnect the drive to the ata/66 controller, using the
> > ata66 cable. I didnt have to change any kernel options, it simply used a
> > pciide? at a different location:
> >
> > pciide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1: Intel 82371AB IDE controller
> > (PIIX4) (rev. 0x01)
> > pciide0: bus-master DMA support present
> > pciide0: primary channel wired to compatibility mode
> > pciide0: disabling primary channel (no drives)
> > pciide0: secondary channel wired to compatibility mode
> > atapibus0 at pciide0 channel 1
> > pciide0: secondary channel interrupting at irq 15
> > cd0(pciide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)
> > pciide1 at pci0 dev 19 function 0: Triones/Highpoint HPT366/370 IDE Controller
> >  (rev. 0x01)
> > pciide1: bus-master DMA support present
> > pciide1: primary channel wired to native-PCI mode
> > pciide1: using irq 11 for native-PCI interrupt
> > wd0 at pciide1 channel 0 drive 0: <IBM-DPTA-372050>
> > wd0(pciide1:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 4
> > (using DMA data transfers)
> > cd0(pciide0:1:0): illegal request, data = 00 00 00 00 64 00 00 00 00 00
>
> Is that right tho? I grabbed -release instead of -current, so I fetched
> -current too. But neither finds pciide2 and 3 on boot (no drives
> attached).
>
> I went and grabbed the snapshot kernel instead as recommended by cyber
> and sure enough it finds all 4 of them, but it seems to do disk access
> rather slowly, and when I load emacs it freezes completely, and
> repeatedly. And that is using boot drive on pciide0 still, normal 40 pin
> ribbon cable.
>
> Lund
>
> --
> Jorgen "Lord" Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
> Technology Manager, Unix Administrator
> Phone: +44 (020)8659-1860  Mobile: (07958)642-918
> Pager: 07958642918@one2one.net
> "Rare is the person who can weigh the faults of others
>  without putting his thumb on the scales": Byron J. Langenfeld

|        sean davis       |
| chief technical officer |
|  black hat networks(r)  |

"Better to be paranoid than to be owned."
        -dive