Subject: Re: i386 xterm key bindings
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/03/2000 19:35:06
In message <20000704022649.96B86DD@proven.weird.com>Greg A. Woods writes

>> I have been runing for years with the
>>   xmodmap -e "keysym BackSpace = Delete"
>
>That's an extremely insuficient hack in my opinion, especially if you
>ever have the occasion to use the raw console interface for "real"
>work.....

Yes, probably, but for xterms, it does exactly what I want.

The point which nobody seems able to answer is:
  ``how do I make the delete-left key generate ASCII DEL''?

At least over an rlogin or telnet session?  It looks to me as if
someone designed a kludge that works for X, but simply didn't think
about interoperating over Telnet/rlogin streams, or non-X screen-aware
apps run in an xterm.

If the current setup doesn't acutally support that, then I propose we
back out the keybinding changes to xterm, and submit a pullup request
to do the same in 1.5.   At least until someone fixes the current bugs.