Subject: Re: tlp won't do full duplex
To: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/2000 09:48:46
On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 10:01:33PM -0600, Jim Bernard wrote:
> I have an Intel system with a 10/100 Sohoware Fast (Macronix 98715AEC-C)
> PCI ethernet card attached to a D-Link 10/100 switch.  Both are documented
> to be capable of full duplex communication.  When the interface is down
> (e.g., in single-user mode), the full-duplex light on the switch glows
> nicely.  But as soon as ifconfig brings up the interface, the light goes
> off.  This happens even though I specifically request "mediaopt
> full-duplex".
I have a D-Link 10/100 switch as well (DES-1005). If I configure *any*
network card (this happens IIRC with epic, ex, rtl and probably vr cards) to
full-duplex manually the switch goes half-duplex on that port. But giving no
media/media-opt or "media auto" to ifconfig works fine. I guess that
"mediaopt full-duplex" has negative side effects on this "N-Way" thingie...
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.