Subject: Re: how to create a single bootable image.
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Hitoshi Asaeda <asaeda@yamato.ibm.co.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 06/29/2000 13:37:31
>  > Could you tell me how to merge single-stage and second-stage boot
>  > programs in one bootable floppy image (i.e. 2.88MB image), in order to
>  > create a bootable CD.
>
> bootfloppy-big is supposed to be used for that.

I thought so.

I'd tell more detail.
Distributed boot-big.fs (snapshot-20000527) is smaller than 2.88MB, so
mkhybrid/mkisofs complains unfit bootable image size.
Because of this reason, I did create boot-big.fs under
/usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies to make the size fit.
However, after doing "make", I got boot-big.fs which was also unfit
the size (about 1.9MB).
And, it may be curious, though, I could get boot-big.fs whose size is
2.88MB when I enter every command "make" would do. (i.e., dd,
disklabel etc.)
Then mkhybrid could work correctly using above "hand-made" boot-big.fs,
and I wrote CD from this output.
But... I cannot boot my machine from created CD. It said "insert 2nd
disk".

What is wrong?
--
Hitoshi Asaeda