Subject: Re: CD-RW/i386/current
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@asim.lip6.fr>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/2000 18:30:34
On Fri 16 Jun 2000 at 10:36:53 +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> I'm not sure cheap CD-RW have such a large buffer. Yes, it's the average
> data flow which is important. But with the disk and CD-RW on the same
> IDE channel you won't be able to do anything else while burning CDs.
> With 2 independant channels you might.

A few days ago I started a cd burning session (4x speed) (on my Alpha
Personal Workstation 433au) at an inopportune moment: the nightly find
jobs started while still busy. I even had not started cdrdao at some
elevated priority. The data came from an IDE disk (not using DMA), the
burner is SCSI (narrow). It still worked ok. I used an RW disk, btw.

cd1 at scsibus0 targ 4 lun 0: <YAMAHA, CRW4416S, 1.0h> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable

> Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.           Manuel.Bouyer@lip6.fr
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder   -- Ah only did well at school
\X/ land.nl      -- tae git intae an O level class tae git away fae Begbie.