Subject: sysinst - remote upgrade?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/2000 20:18:49
If I have network access to a system, it is reasonable to remotely
upgrade to a newer release or snapshot?

If so, is there a good description of how to do it?  I think I have
the big picture from reading the install document and doing it from
floppies several times, but a checklist or detailed recipe would
probably be a big help.

Is it really (almost?) as simple as untaring the selected tar files?
(being careful to save the old /etc)

What happens to the shell and tar/pax that are executing when they
get updated?  Does tar/pax create a temp file and then do a rename?
If so, does the old/dangling file continue to exist (without a name)
until the use-count goes to zero or something like that?

Or would I have to copy what I need over to someplace safe, or rename
the directories, or ...