Subject: Re: rpcbind leaks memory?
To: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <hannken@eis.cs.tu-bs.de>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/2000 09:59:18
On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 12:38:10PM +0200, Juergen Hannken-Illjes wrote:
> It looks like rpcbind leaks memory. Function handle_reply for example
> allocates a buffer of 64k without release. Is there a tool to trace
> these allocations that are not freed.

I did notice a few days ago that it was leaking, but I haven't been
able to find all causes yet.  Thanks for finding that one; I checked in
the obvious fix. It is still leaking somewhat, though, so some more
checking needs to be done. If you could help: great, I'm pretty busy
with other stuff at the moment.

Finding memory leaks isn't trivial, but what you could do is insert
some code in the main service routines that check the amount of memory
that is currently in use. You can do that using the same sysctl that
ps and top use, but I don't know what it is offhand.

- Frank