Subject: Re: HEADS UP: softdep mount change
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 06/16/2000 10:05:13
On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 07:15:19PM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
> >	1) compile a new kernel
> >	2) boot it single user
> >	3) use the old tunefs to disable soft dependencies on any
> >	   filesystem you may have set it
>
> Why is this necessary?

Just to be consistent and safe, really. And to avoid unpleasant
surprises ("hey, why is my system so slow, I had the softdep flag
enabled in all my FFS filesystems").

> Hmm.  As I understand it, fsck may need to know whether a filesystem was
> mounted with or without softdeps to make the best possible decisions.  Is
> this not the case?

Correct. Which is why the softdep flag is still written in the superblock
if you mount it with -o softdep, and cleared when it is unmounted. So,
if there should be a crash, fsck will still see the flag and act
accordingly.

- Frank