Subject: compile problem: libtelnet
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: C Kane <ckane@best.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/15/2000 20:44:57
Hello.

I am still having problems trying to compile /usr/src/lib/libtelnet using
-current sources.  I am supping regularly, have heard that perhaps sup
isn't the best method, but the files I have are identical to the ones on
cvsweb.netbsd.org.

In /usr/src/lib/libtelnet, there is auth.c and auth-proto.h.  auth-proto.h
declares:
  int auth_status __P((char *));
but auth.c defines:
          int
  auth_status()
  {
  }

Not surprisingly, lint and cc complain and the build fails.

Is anybody else seeing this error?

Is anybody else compiling the contents of /usr/src/lib/libtelnet?

I can get this to compile by changing the declaration in auth-proto.h.
But then there are other failures with auth.c:
  cc1: warnings being treated as errors
  /usr/src/lib/libtelnet/auth.c: In function `auth_request':
  /usr/src/lib/libtelnet/auth.c:366: warning: implicit declaration of function `printsub'
  /usr/src/lib/libtelnet/auth.c: In function `auth_is':
  /usr/src/lib/libtelnet/auth.c:492: warning: suggest parentheses around assignment used as truth value
  /usr/src/lib/libtelnet/auth.c: In function `auth_reply':
  /usr/src/lib/libtelnet/auth.c:510: warning: suggest parentheses around assignment used as truth value
  /usr/src/lib/libtelnet/auth.c: In function `auth_name':
  /usr/src/lib/libtelnet/auth.c:523: warning: unused variable `ap'
  /usr/src/lib/libtelnet/auth.c: At top level:
  /usr/src/lib/libtelnet/auth.c:580: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
  /usr/src/lib/libtelnet/auth.c: In function `auth_wait':
  /usr/src/lib/libtelnet/auth.c:596: warning: implicit declaration of function `alarm'
  *** Error code 1

Again, my sources match the latest as shown by cvsweb.

What's going on here?

This has been broken for me for about a month, which leads me to believe that
nobody else is seeing this.  Can anybody suggest what might be wrong or how I
might go about fixing it?  Deleting the entire source tree and using sup to
download everything didn't help.  The last time I installed userland, which
marks about the time this error occurred, was about May 10.

Thanks for any help.

-- Chuck