Subject: Re: siop vs. ncr
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 06/15/2000 13:53:17
On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 01:28:22PM +0200, Bernd Sieker wrote:

> I noticed that since recently the "siop" scsi driver is no longer
> marked "experimental", but instead the "ncr" driver is now marked "old
> driver".
>
> What exactly would be the (dis)advantages of both?

The ncr driver has been a randomly-reliable entity; it worked fine
for some people, and hardly at all for others. Manuel Bouyer has
rewritten it from scratch, and this new driver has proven to
be stable on several platforms, so I have made it the default.
For 1.5, the old driver will be available if people want it,
it most likely won't be supported anymore for 1.6.

> What I noticed is that both drivers incorrectly detect my TekRam
> DC390U (Ultra-SCSI, narrow) as "ultra-wide".

I thought the 53c860 was plain ultra, but that the 53c875 was
ultra+wide.

> So if I connect a wide drive to my narrow adapter via a narrow cable,
> will the driver and the disk negotiate wide transfers by default?

That seems unlikely to me, but I've never actually tried that setup
with an NCR controller, so I wouldn't know for sure.

- Frank