Subject: siop vs. ncr
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/15/2000 13:28:22
Hi,

I noticed that since recently the "siop" scsi driver is no longer
marked "experimental", but instead the "ncr" driver is now marked "old
driver".

What exactly would be the (dis)advantages of both?

What I noticed is that both drivers incorrectly detect my TekRam
DC390U (Ultra-SCSI, narrow) as "ultra-wide".

At the moment all my scsi devices are narrow, but these days narrow
disks are hard to get, almost all of them are wide.

So if I connect a wide drive to my narrow adapter via a narrow cable,
will the driver and the disk negotiate wide transfers by default?

This would be a Bad Thing, since abviously I cannot do wide transfers
via a narrow cable, or will the driver check if wide transfers are in
fact possible and fall back to narrow transfers, if that fails?

Here's what dmesg reports:

  siop0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: Symbios Logic 53c875 (ultra-wide scsi)
  siop0: using on-board RAM
  siop0: interrupting at irq 10

  [...]

  siop0: target 0 using 8bit transfers
  siop0: target 0 now synchronous at 20.0Mhz, offset 15
  sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <IBM, DCAS-34330, S65A> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
  sd0: 4134 MB, 8205 cyl, 6 head, 171 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 8467200 sectors
  siop0: target 2 using 8bit transfers
  siop0: target 2 now synchronous at 10.0Mhz, offset 15
  cd1 at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0: <TEAC, CD-R58S, 1.0K> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable

--
Bernd Sieker