Subject: Re: plug-and-no-play, grrrr.
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/2000 10:22:04
<blymn@basesystems.com.au> (Brett Lymn) writes:

> If I configure in "isapnp0 at isa0" into my kernel I get this:
>
> Jun 12 15:32:33 siren /netbsd: isapnp0: read port 0x203
> Jun 12 15:32:33 siren /netbsd: isapnp0: <VIA PCMCIA CARD, PNP0E00, PNP0E00, > port 0x3e0/2 not configured

It looks like that should be matched by the existing isapnp pcic
front-end, astonishingly enough. Do you have "pcic* at isapnp?" in
your kernel?

> If I don't configure in the isapnp stuff, try to configure sb0 to the
> same port/irq/drq and just leave the pcic controller as it is, I get:

Devices do behave differently in the presence or absence of the isapnp
code, since the code goes out of its way to reset isapnp state, and
can deal with devices that, for example, have not been configured by
the BIOS to a old-style ISA location.

> Jun 12 15:44:06 siren /netbsd: sb: setting drq mask 22 failed, got  41

So this is kind of cheesy but not terribly surprising.

> Finally, I tried using "options PNPBIOS" and saying sb was on pnpbios0
> but the sound card was never found.  That is not surprising since
> sb_pnpbios.c is only looking for some Neomagic device - I tried
> dumping out all the id strings that got passed to the sb_pnpbios probe
> but none of them were remotely like the Creative one should be.

The pnpbios stuff is complimentary to isapnp; pnpbios is used for
devices built in to the system (so that the firmware always knows
about them); isapnp is used for removable cards.

        - Nathan