Subject: Re: someone mentioned "the 1.5 branch"...
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Dave Tyson <Dave.Tyson@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/2000 15:11:23
On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 09:27:40AM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
>> no.  that would have been silly.  :)
>
>Sure, that's why I didn't understand it :)
>

>> although as i understand it, the major obstacle is that the minor
>> numbers are crammed together with no space for more partitions, yes?
>
>Yes.
>
>> that's why i suggested the new major number.
>
>Sure it's a solution, but it's not the best one and I don't think we
>have time to implement it before the branch anyway.

Ok, it sounds like this will have to wait, but it would be nice if it
could appear in current after the branch. Most ports still seem to use
8 entries, but a handful use 16 - from a maintenance point of view I
would have thought a common disktab size would be better. I guess the
figure of 8 is partly historical/partly to allow compatability with
other systems e.g SunOS.  I'll put in a PR.

Dave

Computing Services Dept         Phone/Fax: 0151-794-3731/3759
The University of Liverpool     Email: dtyson@liv.ac.uk
Chadwick Tower, Peach Street    WWW:   http://www.liv.ac.uk/~dtyson
Liverpool L69 7ZF               Public Domain O/S: www.netbsd.org