Subject: Re: "aviator pro"?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/2000 22:30:52
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:

> So, WebGear discontinued the "Aviator 2.4" that used the ray0
> driver, and replaced it with the "Aviator Pro" which uses...?
> Anyone know what it's based on?

My impression is that the only difference between the 2.4 and PRO was
that the PRO came with support for base stations, and the 2.4 for
ad-hoc only.

Judging from their web-pages you can upgrade the 2.4 to a PRO, this
seems to confirm my belief.

The cost of 802.11 DSSS/HR cards has dropped; the PRO seem to cost
about half of a 11Mbps card from 3Com/Compaq/Lucent (speaking of wich,
is anyone working on a PRISM2 driver?).

I would probably not get one of these cards now. The only reason would
be of you have an existing FHSS infrastructure, or if you don't care
about compatibility with other sites (most places I know of use DSSS).

/Johan