Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/07/2000 17:37:46
On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, John Nemeth wrote:

# Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 16:31:17 -0700
# From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
# To: thorpej@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org
#
# On Sep 23,  2:20am, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
# }
# } Module Name:	basesrc
# } Committed By:	thorpej
# } Date:		Wed Jun  7 21:13:13 UTC 2000
# }
# } Modified Files:
# } 	basesrc/distrib/i386/floppies/ramdisk: list ramdiskbin.conf
# }
# } Log Message:
# } Remove restore(8).  It doens't belong on install media, and if we
# } want to provide that functionality, we can do it some other way.
#
#      I would disagree with this comment.  It is useful for somebody
# that wants to recover/rebuild a system that has been thoroughly
# toasted.  Since TNF doesn't supply recover disk images, just install
# images, restore(8) should be on the install image.  The only reason to
# remove it would be if this pushed the install image into a three disk
# set.

...and even then, that's debatable, since we may need to bite this
wax tadpole at some point anyway.  Please don't delete restore unless
you DO plan to provide a recovery image.  I can't list the number of
times I've had to boot from an install disk to do a recovery (or a
backup -- is dump there?,  tar is, I suppose...).

[Less of a personal problem for me since I can always build my own
floppy images, but others may not be so inclined/clued.]

# }-- End of excerpt from Jason R Thorpe

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: We Stay Up.