Subject: Re: Xkernel/sun: bad system call
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2000 17:37:12
Olaf Seibert wrote:

>On Tue 06 Jun 2000 at 17:40:32 -0400, Seth Robertson wrote:
>> The only suggestion I have is to revert back to the original SunOS kernel
>> to see if that works better than NetBSD.
>
>The problem with that is that I have no SunOS to revert to - I got the
>machine bare. A quick look on ftp.sun.com does not seem to suggest there
>is anything to download from there... nor on www.sun.com. The free
>Solaris does not seem to run on 3/50s and even if it did it would be
>a bit big for 4M core I suppose :-)

I certainly don't want to encourage anyone to abandon NetBSD but ....

   ftp://sun3arc.krupp.net/BootTapes

There's some useful stuff here for people wanting to run old SunOS
binaries under NetBSD too.

The emulation code in NetBSD/sparc is awsome.  My employer has a
situation with Sparc systems where we have some application code that
only runs under Solaris and some that only runs under SunOS.  I recently
scanvenged an old Sparc-10, installed NetBSD-1.4.2 and set up both
emulation paths.  We're now running all of our tools on one platform
thanks to NetBSD. The effort has been so successful we're looking at
switching everything over to NetBSD.

-bob