Subject: Re: NOTICE: pcvt on its death bed
To: Tim Walls <tim.walls@pa.press.net>
From: Jaromír Doleček <dolecek@ibis.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2000 14:55:25
Tim Walls wrote:
> > If their are no significant issues raised by Saturday night (11JUN2000
> > 0000Z) -- that is, PRs giving detailed information on situations where
> > pcvt works and wscons does not, hearsay and vague comments will not be
> > accepted -- pcvt will be removed from the i386 port permanently.
>
> This is a conspiracy, isn't it?  First we implement the bastard son of
> runlevels, the rape of rc.conf, and now they are nicking the console
> driver I've used for years...
>
> It's part of the bigger plan - to remove practically everything I like
> about NetBSD...  (paranoid?  moi?)

Nono, it's not conspiracy :) It's just kind of christmas cleaning -
throwing out old trash.

pcvt was superceded by wscons, which is the mainline supported
MI console driver. Supporting and maintaining two separate console
drivers (furthermore if one of them is i386-specific) is just
unnecessary and costs developer resources which can be more efficiently
spent otherwise.

Is there any feature pcvt has and wscons does not ?

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
@@@@  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, damn!  @@@@