Subject: Re: NOTICE: pcvt on its death bed
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/2000 20:36:26
Charles M. Hannum said:

>If their are no significant issues raised by Saturday night (11JUN2000
>0000Z) -- that is, PRs giving detailed information on situations where
>pcvt works and wscons does not, hearsay and vague comments will not be
>accepted -- pcvt will be removed from the i386 port permanently.

The machine that is used as my webserver, ftp server, samba server,
boot server, and some other stuff. is a Pentium 133 with a bunch of
disks, 64 megs of memory, an ISA metwork card, and an ISA clone Hercules
monochrome graphics card. When I installed 1.4.1 I found that I didn't
have a console with the generic kernel. Once the system boots, the console
stops displaying anything. Building a kernel with pccons and not wscons
made everything right again.

The box above obviously doesn't run X11. I would really not like to have
to buy a color graphics card and monitor or an ASCII terminal for this
system in order to upgrade NetBSD in the future.

And I like to keep the kernel small.

tencats# ls -l /netbsd
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1410166 Apr 18 14:57 /netbsd

Looks a lot better than:

tencats# ls -l /netbsd.gen
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3111739 Dec 28 20:09 /netbsd.gen

I've been using the above mono graphics card since NetBSD 0.9a. I would
hate to think that it has become obsolete after all the good service that
it has given me.

It is a cheap solution as one can find a used mono card for $10 and a
refurbished monochrome monitor for $45.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com