Subject: Re: Lost clock interrupts in 1.4Z
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/2000 21:52:21
Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com> typed:
:I see things like "time reset 15.640742 s" in the log file when running
:heavy network tests.
[...stuff deleted...]
:I assume that clock interrupts are getting lost because a network
:driver is running at interrupt level continuously for more than one
:clock tick.  I don't have any data to back that up.  Are there other
:possible explanations?

The kernel doesn't print this.  timed doesn't print this.  ntpd does
print something like this: e.g. "time reset (step) 0.508760 s"
So I'm guessing you're running ntpd (or xntpd).  If it is from ntpd,
and heavy network traffic is causing your time to be stepped then
perhaps you should try running ntpd with the -x flag to slew it
gradually rather than stepping it, or find a way to decrease normal
latency to your time sources.  HTH.

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>     Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/