Subject: 1.4Z On Alpha/600au - panic: pool_get(%s): free list modified
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/2000 15:46:38
Has anybody else seen one of these?  I got one on the reveive end
of a UDP-Blast-em test.  I was running on a point-point link using
the fxp/82558 driver.

I have a crash dump.  Is there likely to be anything useful in it?
If so, what should I type?

How hard should I try to make it happen again?  This test uses (misuses?)
a lot of network buffers.  It's reasonably likey to provoke troubles
if any code doesn't handle the no-buffer case correctly.

I'm also getting the fxp1: device timeout messages on the send side
or on the side that crashed with different tests that generate traffic
going in the other direction.

------

I had troubles getting a dump.  On the first try with "call cpu_reboot(0x100)"
I got a mcpl reentrance from 82557.c line 1593.  That was also the
previous call.

I assume it was trying to turn off the network drivers so memory
wouldn't get smashed by an arriving packet.  Should network drivers
have a lightweight just-stop-everything hook for this purpose?

Next, I tried "call cpu_reboot(0x104)".  It took a long long time
for the dump.  The screen counted down from 512 at about 1 per second.
That machine has 512 megabytes.  I guess 1 megabyte/second is within
reason for a dumb/simple driver but it felt like a long time.

After that, I got another mclpl reentrance.  This time it said uipc_mbuf.c
line 358.

At that point, I was out of ideas so I power cycled.

Then it told me there wasn't enough room in /var.  I made more and
rebooted and now I have:

  mckinley% ls -l /var/crash/
  total 131874
  -rw-------  1 root  wheel          2 Jun  4 15:04 bounds