Subject: Re: New RPC code added to the tree: how to upgrade
To: None <>
From: Geoff Wing <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/2000 13:40:02
Frank van der Linden <> typed:
:On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 11:14:10PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
:>      Will this allow us to use to do hosts.allow and hosts.deny style
:> authentication ala Wietse Venema's replacement program?  I don't care
:> if the mechanism is different, just whether or not it exists.
:Yes, that mechanism is still present. Of course, you'll have to
:replace "portmap" with "rpcbind" in the hosts.* files.

I had a problem with this (source from anoncvs about 3-4 hours ago &
did a make build).  Two network cards on my machine: A.B.C.D & E.F.G.H

from /etc/hosts.allow:
	rpcbind:, A.B.C., E.F.G.
from /etc/hosts.deny:
	rpcbind: ALL

Invoked as: rpcbind -l
Lots of:
	rpcbind: connect from local to unset(yppasswdd): request from unauthorized host
type messages.  All rpc based services: nfsd, etc. carked it.
Removed the lines from /etc/hosts.allow & /etc/hosts.deny and I can
use it again.

Geoff Wing : <>     Work URL:
Rxvt Stuff : <>      Ego URL :
Zsh Stuff  : <>       Phone   : (Australia) 0413 431 874