Subject: -current aperture lkm use woes
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: S.P.Zeidler <spz@serpens.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/2000 15:04:17
Hi,

-current(2.jun.)'ly my aperture driver doesn't work (so I'm without X
on my desktop machine, which is kind of very annoying)
ap announces that it reserves memory and then modload complains that
it is not permitted to do so:
ap: modload: reserving 4096 bytes of memory
modload: can't reserve memory: operation not permitted

As the very same kernel and the very same aperture lkm worked fine before
and I "just" updated userland and etc, I tried to run the lkm BEFOREMOUNT,
on the idea that maybe lkm3 gets run too late, but that didn't change a
thing.

Next I tried to rebuild the aperture lkm to see if that would improve things.
But lo and behold:
/usr/include/errno.h:56: syntax error before `no'
/usr/include/errno.h:57: syntax error before `no'
which is due to the fact that the "__RENAME(x)" macro contains a very
ungraceful non-definition if _KERNEL is defined. Obviously errno.h isn't
meant to get included in kernel or lkm source, but maybe an "ifdef"
wrapper to prevent accidents could be made.
I changed the includes to sys/errno.h, and now it compiles, but on trying
to modload it doesn't find the entry point in the new module. Oh well ...

My sys/lkm.h is 1.8; /usr/share/lkm provided no inspiration (due to being
ancient).

I really do not want to run an "INSECURE" kernel on this machine. Anyone
have an idea/fix for me? (besides cvs update, which is currently running)

regards,
	spz
--
spz@serpens.de (S.P.Zeidler)