Subject: Re: staroffice package fails to install
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: Tim Walls <tim.walls@pa.press.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/2000 11:44:36

> Folks,
> I am trying to install staroffice 5.1a but have run into some
> strife.  When I do a make install I get this:
>
> [root@siren] make reinstall
> ===>  Installing for staroffice-en-5.1a

> Now running the StarOffice system installation script.
>
> Simply hit <RETURN> on every requester.  Please do
> _not_ try to change any setup parameters at this time
> (you can do that later during user installation).
>
> If you do make modifications, automatic package
> deinstallation may fail and you will have to remove
> /usr/pkg/Office51 by hand after running 'pkg_delete'
>
> Segmentation fault - core dumped
> *** Error code 139
>
> Now, I can tell you that it is setup.bin that is core dumping because
> it did the same thing when I attempted a manual install.  I believe

You need to have procfs mounted on /proc - for mysterious reasons it
looks up its command line parameters using it!

I did submit a minor change to the package which would check for procfs
mounted in the right place a couple of months ago (pkg/9560) and it does
seem to have made it into current pkgsrc.  It may be time to update to a
more recent pkgsrc (or else, my patch doesn't do what it says on the
tin, in which case I apologise!)

Cheers,
Tim.

--